Thursday, February 5, 2009

New Elliptical Rice Bowls

























These were a special request but a bit of a challenge. How could I keep the slanted elliptical rim while creating a resting spot to hold chop sticks? I didn't want to cut a clunky rectangle out of the side wall because it would ruin the gentle elegance of the ellipse. Here is the solution. I really like the way they stack too. The simple change of slope makes them feel modern and yet still elegant. I love it when a new design turns out better than expected!

4 comments:

judsculpt said...

The shape looks great and the chopsticks sit perfectly,.Judy

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

What an interesting solution. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Nice Pam! I've been meaning to make some rice bowls for myself for the last year after making some for a customer that turned out really well.

Maisie said...

pam, these turned out great! i've been looking for a cool noodle bowl with chopstick rest. can i make a custom request for a bowl like this with a matching dish for things like chili sauce and kimchee etc, plus a matching tumbler? let me know and i can place an order through etsy, or just send you a check.